Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tomato Update

Over the last few weeks our weather has slowly improved. We have enjoyed three days over 80 degrees ( finally !) and are now headed into the 90's. No one has enjoyed this change more than the tomato plants. They spent most of May and part of June growing so slowly it felt like they were just sitting there. Then the temperatures started rising and the tomatoes took off ! Looking at last year's blogs posts around this time, it appear that the tomatoes are only about a week behind last years growth. They have done an amazing job catching up. Pictured above is "Rose".


All of the tomatoes that I planted in the vegetable bed are indeterminate varieties. These get almost full day sun here and have a chance to get huge. Above, from left to right are "Black Pear", "Persimmon" & "Black Krim". In this group "Black Krim" is the only variety that I have grown before.


With the hot weather coming, I am thinking that I am only about a week away from adding the second tier to the tomato cages. I just love these cages. This is my third year using them and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I got them from Gardener's Supply Company out of Vermont. They are square in shape and collapse flat for storage. If you are growing indeterminate tomatoes that need it, you just add the second tier when ready. The metal poles on the second tier slip right into the round slots on the top of the first tier. They are a bit spendy, but with basic care and maintenance I can see that they are going to last for many, many years. No more flimsy, round cages that collapse in August for me ! The varieties pictured above, from left to right are "Seattle's Best", "Momotaro" & "Kellogg's Breakfast". "Kellogg's Breakfast" is the only repeat tomato in this group. As you can see I am growing lots of new ones this year. That's part of the fun of gardening!

3 comments:

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Your tomatoes look beautiful. Mine started looking a little more fit this week or so as well--they like sun!

Susan said...

I'm so jealous of your beautiful tomato plants! You are going to have quite the harvest soon! Thanks for sharing!

Jami@ An Oregon Cottage said...

It's so nice that the tomatoes have taken off for us! Of the ones you're growing, I'm also growing Black Krim and have grown Kellogg's Bfst. in the past. I've never even heard of Seattle's Best and Rose, so I will be looking forward to your experience with these! Thanks for sharing at the TGP!

PS. Could you please remember to link just to your TGP post and not your home page? Thx!