Monday, October 3, 2016

Harvest Monday - The Beans are In


Not a large harvest this past week, but still one that I am very excited about. The beans are in! Well not all of the beans, but the majority of them. We received out first significant rain on Sunday morning. It was predicted so I harvested most of the pods from my bush "Titus" cannellini beans earlier in the week. I would say 4/5 of the pods had fully ripened. They were brown and dry, but did not spit open and shatter- just as the catalog promised. My total harvest to this point is 9.1 oz, or 1 1/3 cups. Not a huge amount but I think a descent harvest from just 20 plants. Now I get to play around with these in a few recipes and see how they taste. If they make the cut I would like to double or triple my grow out of them next year.


I also enjoyed a good "second flush" harvest on the "Lemon" cucumber plants. I know that I was complaining earlier in the season that they weren't a very prolific producer but I need to rescind that remark a bit. I harvested another 9 cukes this week, weighing in at 2 lbs. 3.4 oz. So that puts my total year to date harvest at 21 cukes from the 5 plants. Not a huge amount, but not too bad either from plants growing in a location that received only half-day sun.

5 comments:

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

That does sound like a good harvest of beans from the amount of plants you had! I've never grown cannellini beans but I do like eating them.

Michelle said...

That's a lovely jar of beans. I'm so much more appreciative of what good dry beans cost since I started growing my own and realize how much space it takes to produce a pound of beans. But it's so worth the space since it seems like homegrown is always much better than anything I can buy.

Julie said...

Nice cannellini beans! I've never grown them, but I do grow other dried beans and it does take a lot of plants to produce a significant amount of beans. I like lemon cucumbers too. Mine didn't do very well this year, but it's looking like I might get a few more before the end of the season. Your lemon cukes look very large and delicious!

Margaret said...

Beautiful dried beans - they are one of my favourites to grow (I seem to say that about a lot of things :)

I'm just in the process of tallying up the beans that have been drying in the garage for the last few months and am quite excited about trying out a few new varieties that I grew.

Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.