Monday, September 2, 2013

Guatemalan Blue Banana Squash


Today I harvested my "Guatemalan Blue Banana" Winter Squash. It all began back on May 5th when I planted the seed in six-pack trays. I then set out the two young plants into the garden on May 19th. The first squash had set and were growing by July 24th. 


This squash, for as large as it is, was an early squash for me. It grew quickly and set its fruit weeks before the "Butternut" & "Delicata" did. Unfortunately, it also developed powdery mildew much early than is normal for my garden. Luckily, the squash were mature but the mildew did spread to my other two squash varieties whose fruits are not yet ready to harvest.


I ended up with five big squash. The seed packet states that the squash will be "an average of 5 pounds". Well, my five squash averaged 9.92 lbs! The largest was 13.4 lbs and the smallest was 5.6 lbs. My total harvest weighed in at 48 lb 10 oz. I will keep them out in the sun for the next week so that the skin can cure before I put them inside for the winter. Then it will be time to cook with them and see what I think of their flavor in comparison with the other varieties that I have grown.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Holy cow, look at those suckers!
I've never had that kind before, do you have any special recipes that you use it in?

Graziana said...

wow those squash are huge!

Chris said...

Wow! I hope that they are yummy :)

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

I've never seen a blue banana squash! That's a lot of squash. I hope they taste as good as they look.

Anonymous said...

I noticed the same thing in my garden - a zucchini that was supposed to be Powdery Mildew resistant had the worst infection in the garden and the truly resistant butternut next to it started to develop PM but only near the zucchini. I ripped out the zucchini.

Barb said...

Hi, I'm over here from Beth's blog. I can't wait to see more of your gardening. Those squash are amazing!