Friday, July 9, 2010

July Wildflower Walk


This morning, before it had a chance to get too warm, I took a walk around the property. About a month ago, I did the same thing and posted everything that I found that was blooming. I thought that it would be interesting to do the same thing again and compare. I went into my walk expecting that I wouldn't find very much in bloom, now that we are in July and the meadows are just starting to dry up for the Summer. I was amazed to discover how much is blooming right now. Perhaps our wet, cool Spring and early Summer have delayed things, or perhaps the extra moisture has made certain plants more vigorous and plentiful. Whatever the reason, I had lots to document.



The first plant that caught my eye was this grass. I remember it from past years but not in the quantities that it is blooming this year. Everywhere you look in the meadows, the small tulip-shaped purple blooms are glowing. Each stem has up to 4 blooms on it.


I was so excited when this orange caught my eye. I haven't seen any wild columbine on our property for the past two years. I love it and was frustrated that we didn't seem to have any. Upon closer inspection of this plant, I discovered why. It looked like the deer had eaten 2/3rds of all the stock and buds off of it. The only reason the plant was still surviving was because it was growing under and out from a small fir tree. Apparently the deer love wild columbine as much as I do!


I am guessing this guy is some member of the clover family. It has lovely dark purple blooms.


From the meadow I transitioned into the woods. Here I found lots and lots of this blooming shrub/brush.


Each branch is tipped in a cascade of miniature cream colored sprays.


Not too far away I found this shrub that was blooming in a cluster of hot pink. There weren't a lot of blooms, but you could sure find them easily.


The wild roses are still blooming, especially in shaded areas.


Back into the meadows again. The wild daisies are very common, but are still putting on quite a show.


Near the ground I spied clumps of hairy vetch climbing up grasses and other supports.Hummingbirds love their tubular shaped blooms.


Even though it is not a native, the blackberries are in full bloom right now. In full sun the blooms fade to white, but in dappled sunlight they have a soft pink coloring. They have loved all of the rain.


This pretty little flower was found in all of the meadows. Its stocks were topped in clusters of 8-12 small pink blooms.


Lastly, the thistle is starting to bloom. As much of a pain as it is to gardeners, the goldfinch feast on it after the blooms go to seed. This is reason enough to have some of it around.

No comments: