Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Second Tier


Today I finally found the time to add the second tier to my tomato cages in the vegetable bed. I was probably at least a week late on the job and a couple of them had grown a good 6" past the top of tier one. Once I get the second tier in place it always looks like it will be impossible for the tomatoes to ever grow enough to fill the second layer of cages. But I know from experience that come September, the second tier will be as full as the first.


On unexpected benefit of my work today was the discovery of the first set tomato of the year! This little guy, smaller than a marble, was lurking in a cluster of blooms on "Seattle's Best". Not surprising that a Pacific NW variety would be the first.

1 comment:

Dan@retrooregon,com said...

I have tomato envy! I can not wait for mine to start!