Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A Surprise Volunteer


A week ago or so, something caught my eye in last year's melon bed. I glanced down and thought I saw a group of sprouted sunflower seeds. That wasn't a surprise, given the close proximity of this bed to the bird feeders and our large active chipmunk population. But last Sunday I realized there were more sprouting seeds and I took a closer look. Imagine my shock when I discovered that these weren't groups of sunflowers but instead clumps of young Watermelon plants! Last year I grew "Blacktail Mountain" watermelon here. They did quite well. I didn't get around to harvesting the last few melon and they sat here and decomposed throughout the Winter. So combine non-hybrid seed with extremely early warm weather and you get a bed full of volunteer watermelon plants!

No comments: