Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Setting in the Winter Squash


This evening it was time to work in the Kitchen Garden. I began by pulling out the greens in two of the three raised beds. These greens, planted way back on February 13th, had run their course. The arugula and mustard mix had long since bolted and the lettuce blends were also beginning to set seed heads. So, out with the old and in with the new!


In the first bed, I set in 2 of the "Crown Pumpkin" winter squash that I started. These two little plants are doing great and it was definitively time to get them settled into their permanent home.


Here is a picture of the "Sweet Greens and Reds" lettuce mix in bed #2 before I pulled it out. This was a nice blend and I particularly liked the ruffled green lettuce in the mix. But as you can see in the above picture, the bugs were getting the better of the greens and it was time for them to go.


Into that bed I set in 2 of the "Waltam Butternut" winter squash that I started from seed. They too are both looking great but will benefit from getting settled into a nice, fertile raised bed. I have one more raised bed of greens to pull and replace with "Delicata" winter squash. But those greens still have one more good harvest left in them, so I will put off that task until the weekend.

No comments: