Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Zowie! Yellow Flame ZInnia



In mid-May, I purchased a 6-pack of "Yellow Flame" Zinnias at the Food for Lane County Youth Farm Plant sale. When I bought them, I assumed they would have a bright, solid yellow bloom. Boy was I wrong! The first bud opened today and I was surprised and pleased by what I saw. After googling the name, I learned that I had actually bought "Zowie! Yellow Flame" Zinnias. They are described as having "iridescent magenta centers and petals dipped in orange". Which is all quite true. I am not too sure where the Yellow in the name fits in but I am pleased just the same. Later in the season, after the plants have grown and branched out, they should put on quite an eye-opening display.

2 comments:

Barb said...

What a beautiful flower! You made an excellent purchase.

Daphne Gould said...

It is really pretty. Zinnias are one of my favorite flowers. I just wish I could find one that was 18" tall. I've had packets that say that, but then they get 3' tall. And the 12" ones get just 12". I've yet to find an intermediate size.