Monday, July 13, 2015

Garlic Harvest

 

Yesterday morning I harvested my "Chesnook Red" Garlic. I was late planting my garlic and it didn't get it in the ground until December 13th of last year! I was really concerned that my late planting would effect the overall size of the garlic bulbs the next Summer.


Well it appears that I didn't need to worry. I planted 19 cloves back in December. One clove split so it produced two bulbs this year. I dug up what appear to be 20 nice size garlic bulbs. I have laid them out on my make-shift drying rack in the shop. After they have dried for a week I will clean the bulbs and get an official harvest weight. Until then, we won't have to worry about any vampires hanging around the shop!


6 comments:

Jenny Rottinger said...

Lovely harvest. We haven't taken ours out as it's been very wet, and I'm starting to worry if it will rot in the ground :(

Margaret said...

Your garlic look fantastic, Lexa! I'll probably be pulling mine up in a couple of weeks. It's so much fun to pull and see what you have after all those months of waiting.

Daphne Gould said...

We always make the requisite vampire jokes about our bike shed as that is where we store it. Though mine is harvested, I'll be showing it later when it is cured and I clean it all up. Yours looks fabulous.

David Velten said...

That Chesnok Red looks terrific. Mine were not impressive this year, but it is a garlic I do like.

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

That is some good looking garlic! I planted some for green garlic on Dec 1st and it went ahead and sized up nicely too.

Mindy said...

I planted some for the first time ever, early this spring, and I have no clue when to harvest it! Fall? Next spring? Now? The leaves are starting to brown, so I have no clue. Same for my first time with potatoes. No idea when to dig them.