Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Last Week of August in the Dahlia Garden


As August slips away, the dahlia garden continues to grow and mature. Here is the view as you enter the garden gate.


And here is the view from the opposite side. I started planting first at this end, so the dahlias are the farthest along down here.


Most of the plants were topped and now have well developed side shoots. A few of the "early" varieties have their first blooms open, including this waterlily "Red Velvet".


Another view looking down the rows.


Here is a well branched "Crazy 4 Jessie" plant. It is just covered with its first flush of buds.


A close-up. This "Crazy 4 Jessie" bud is now getting its first hint of color.


This "Tahoma Alicia" is a bit farther alone. It looks like it might be a candidate to take to the National Dahlia Show in Portland this coming weekend. Will it be in full bloom in five more days?


A few dahlia varieties have fully opened first blooms . Here is a beautiful "Embrace". I have been trying to grow this variety for years without any success but it looks like I finally have some good stock this year.


The little white pom "Bowen".


This is our flower of the year at the Lane County Dahlia show this year. "RaeAnn's Peach" is a single form in red and orange. The color has been fantastic on this first bloom because it has been overcast for so much of the last few days. No sunshine equals no fading!


Another consistent early bloomer; "Lakeview Glow" a yellow incurved cactus form.


One of my very favorites is the waterlily variety "Pam Howden". A lovely blend of orange, yellow,and purple with perfect form every time.

And I can't forget this delicate white orchid "Tahoma Hope". The bees love it as much as I do.



2 comments:

Yael from Home Garden Diggers said...

Your dahlias are lovely. I love the Tahoma Hope and Embrace and all of them. I do hope you get the right ones to show in Portland. And you have told me about something for me to do this weekend.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

These are so gorgeous, Lexa, that I am just speechless! I really like 'Pam Howden' also--what a glorious range of colors in one perfect bloom.