Thursday, May 12, 2016

First Tilling


Tonight after dinner we headed down to the Big Garden and gave it the first tilling of the year. It is always a milestone on the gardening calendar for me. It really marks the start of my dahlia garden, although planting is certainly many, many weeks away. The soil was fairly decent for this first pass. Nicely dry in the normal sections and wet - but not really wet - in the usual areas. Looking back at past posts, this week really does seem the "average" date that we are able to do the first tilling each year. Last year it was May 12th, in 2014 May 15th, 2013 May 6th, 2012 May 14th, 2011 June 15th, and 2010 May 14th.


In other exciting news, I have the first germination in the flat of seeds that I started last Sunday. Tonight there are 3 "Magnificenza" Melon poking though the soil. Four days is pretty quick germination but it was 82 degrees yesterday and today and I sure that helps.

No comments: