Thursday, May 26, 2016

Final Tilling


Tonight after dinner, Dad and I headed down to the Big Garden and gave it the 2nd and final tilling of the year. I was pleasantly surprised by how much it had dried since the last tilling. I had thought that we would have to wait until the weekend to till again. Now it will have two warm, sunny days to dry out once again, and then I should be able to start working on setting up the rows by Sunday. It will be so nice, and so rare, to be able to have the tilling done for the year by Memorial Day weekend.


As soon as Dad started the tiller, a robin flew in and landed behind him. He happily followed the tiller the whole evening, grabbing up worms. I am not sure how he was able to fly by the end!


Next to the Big Garden gate is Dorthy's rose. This lovely old rose in in full bloom right now. Thanks to our fairly dry and warm Spring, it hasn't been affected too much by black spot like it has in many past years.


Besides being a striking hot pink color, it is also quite fragrant. I would describe its scent as a light floral. Quite feminine, just like the rose.







I am really pleased that it has sent up two new canes this Spring. It didn't send up any new ones last year and the whole rose plant has been diminishing in size for the past 4-5 years. I think voles have been tunneling through its root system, causing the rose to loose vigor. My fingers are crossed that these two new canes continue to grow and thrive.

No comments: