Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The First Harvest of the Year

Happy June! After a dark and rainy day, the sun came out around 6:00 PM tonight. After dinner I was able to go outside to the vegetable garden and procure my first harvest of the year, 13.5 oz of radish. All three varieties of radish have done well. I haven't done any taste tests yet, so the jury is still out on that important factor. However, it is hard to beat the "Plum Purple" in the looks category. "Pink Punch" is a pretty hot pink color and "Rudolf" a traditional true red. All the varieties were planted together in the same bed on April 10th and they all seem to be around the same size. They did take longer then the seed packet said to reach maturity but I blame that on our cold, wet Spring. I think it has slowed down even the cold-weather crops a bit. None the less, it sure feels good to be finally harvesting something.

No comments: