Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Vegetable Bed


This morning I finally finished planting the vegetable bed. I decided that my "Delicata" Winter Squash starts needed to get into the ground and into the sun. I hope that they are big enough that the birds won't pull them up or pick away at the leaves. I do have an extra I started, just in case one needs replaced. They look so little planted next to the older, larger "Butternut" Squash that I bought and planted last week.


Out of the peat-pots and into the ground they go! I built up 2 hills and added a good amount of well rotted chicken manure to each hill. Once they get settled, they ought to like that.


Since germinating last week, the "Bingo" Pole Beans have really done well. In the background of the picture, you can still see two of my protective "bean tunnels". I put these cups over the beans until they have fully sprouted and have opened their first set of leaves. This keeps the birds from pulling them up and acts as a mini- green house too, keeping them a bit warmer on cool days.


Both varieties of onions are really looking good. Now that we have passed the summer solstice the bulb growth should really start in earnest.

3 comments:

Minerva's Garden said...

Your vegetables look healthy and beautiful. I never seem to have much luck growing onions, but I have some baby green onion starts that I'm going to plant out as soon as I can, and see if I can get that to grow.

Debbie in MS said...

This is my first visit to your blog. Your garden looks great.

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

Good idea about using the clear cups as little greenhouses. Thanks for linking up to the Tuesday Garden Party.