Saturday, June 12, 2010

More Planting

Last Saturday, I started a few more plants from seed. Even though the weather forecast showed another week of rain & cool weather, I decided that June was ticking away. It was plant now, or it would soon be too late. I started by planting a new, to me, pole bean "Bingo" up in the vegetable bed. On the packet "Bingo" is described as " a classic Borlotto type pole bean. Big Creamy green pods streaked in bright pinkish red, grows 5 inches long".



The seeds were a pretty tan, streaked in burgundy. On my garden inspection this morning I discovered that the first two beans had started to germinate. Unfortunately, the birds discovered them before I did. Both were pulled out of the ground and had dried up. Grr! I replanted those two seeds and then created 2 bean "cones" out of clear plastic cups. I cut out the bottom and twisted the cups over the next 2 beans that I could see pushing up. This should give them the protection that they need to get big enough so that the birds will leave them alone. After I planted the beans, I got out a seed tray and started some of my favorite annuals. I planted Zinnia "Berry Basket" & "Hot Crayon Colors". I also started Cosmos "Kneehigh Sonata Mix".


One week later I have 12 of the Zinnias up and 4 of the Cosmos. Considering how cool and wet it has been, I am pretty happy with this early germination. With the sun coming back so stay today ( I hope !) the rest should be up in the next few days.

No comments: