Saturday, January 9, 2016

Signs of Spring

"Tete-a-tete" in the mudroom bed

The cold spell that had a firm grip on us through much of early January has finally ended. I took a short walk this afternoon and it felt both strange and wonderful to be out and about in such mild weather. I took a quick inventory of our daffodils and narcissus. It always surprises me to see so many of them up in January, although it shouldn't. Almost all of our bulbs that are planted in the flowerbeds routinely are up by now.  


The "Early Sensation" daffodils down by the big birdfeeder are 6-8" tall now. The buds are visible and I imagine that they will be blooming in a matter of weeks.


A clump of "Early Sensation"


We have a number of different specialty bulbs planted in the sunset flowerbed. The "Kokopelli", pictured above, appear to be coming back well. Last year the tips on all of the leaves turned brown as a result of early freezes that we experienced. I am glad to see that so far, our cold spells don't seem to have had any effect on them.


My clump of Ipheion "Rolf Fiedler" is also looking good. This sweet little bulb produces the prettiest star shaped flowers in an amazing shade of blue.


Here is my little clump of narcissus "Sabrosa". It has such fine, delicate leaves. Pictured below is part of my large group of "Topolino" narcissus. Its name means little mouse in Italian and this 4-6" beauty is a reliable, fragrant bloomer.

No comments: