Sunday, May 31, 2015

Tilling #2 and a Dahlias Potting Finish


The warmest day of the year so far. We hit a high of 85 degrees and it certainly felt like it this afternoon. Dad and I went down to the big garden around 11:30. He drove the tractor and I brought down the push lawnmower. While he gave the garden its second full tilling of the year, I mowed all around the garden, inside and out. The garden really looks good. The soil had completely dried out from the heavy rains we got back on the 11th and 12th and it tilled up really well. There are almost no clumps at all and the soil surface is pretty level. We are thinking, since it is in such good shape, that this might just be the final tilling of the year.


Once I got back the house, I finished unwrapping and potting up the last of the dahlia tubers. I potted up 46 more tubers for a total count of 269 pots! Not all of them will be planted down in the big garden. Some will stay up at the house and I am sure a few of them won't eye up and become plants. I imagine the big garden will have between 250-260 plants this year. After I finished potting up everything, I watered all of the dahlias that had emerged. As of today I have 81 of the 269 dahlias up and growing.

Below, a healthy start of "Hollyhill Bridget".

2 comments:

Barb said...

Lexa, your dahlias are so pretty. Is there a reason you start them in pots?

Lou@RainbowChard said...

Wow, you're not joking when you say 'the big garden'! I love my allotment but it would be a lot more convenient to have my own large garden one day.