Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Electric Blue Penstemon


The "Electric Blue" Penstemon in the mudroom flowerbed is now in full bloom.


This perennial is hardy in zones 6-9. We lost one during the Winter of 2013 which had a particularly long, deep cold spell with no snow cover. It is suggested that a light mulch would help it survive in lower temperatures.


As with other penstemons, it is very attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies which we love.


Each individual tubular trumpet is a striking shade of blue with a purple blush near the stem. It blooms steadily from May through June and can then be cut back to encourage a second round of blooming.


It grows to 16" high by 16" wide and seems to be very resistant to deer. Now that's saying something!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

One of my favorites :-) the color is so electric!!! We have some growing in our zone 5 garden.

Daphne Gould said...

That is really pretty. I love all blue flowers. I'm shocked I don't have more in my garden, but mostly not.

Barb said...

Just beautiful! I have a small one but it is not blooming yet.

Mindy said...

I need this one in my life.