Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Kitchen Garden Update


It is time for an update regarding the kitchen garden.


Underneath their protective blanket of remay, the radish are growing by leaps and bounds.


You can now clearly see the beginnings of the colored roots.


The garlic continues to thrive. I am just amazed by the size of the "Russian Red" plants. They are now as big as leaks.


Look at the size of those stalks. There should be some pretty impressive bulbs underneath!


The "Chesnook Red" garlic is also doing really well. It is the more "normal" size that I am used to observing with garlic plants.


Most of the "Red Bull" onions have settled in nicely. I am concerned that one of the five isn't going to make it. It isn't growing any new leaves. As you can see it is flopped over and looks nothing like the other four plants.


I am amazed at the growth of the shallot plants. They were so small and delicate when I planted them. In just a few weeks they have tripled in size and are sturdy, strong plants.


The other onions are also doing great. The "Frontier" storage onions, picture above, have doubled in size.


The stalks are about as thick as a pencil now. I think that I am going to keep the remay tunnel over them for at least a few more weeks.


The "Candy" onions also  look good. 


The first tray of seeds that I planted continue to sprout. I now have 9 young "Raspberry Sorbet " zinnias.


The marigolds are also coming up. Above, two little "Red Metamorph" and below a "Frances' Choice" seedling. So far about 1/3 of the marigolds have germinated.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Are you keeping the seedlings in the greenhouse so the birds don't pull them up?

icebear said...

i can't wait to see the size of those garlic bulbs!