Monday, February 6, 2012

The Arrival of The Seed Savers Exchange Yearbook

When I got home from work today I was excited to find the 2012 Seed Savers Exchange Yearbook waiting for me! This annual publication is produced by The Seed Savers Exchange out of Decorah Iowa.  This non-profit is dedicated to preserving North Americas diverse, endangered garden heritage for future generations. I am proud to say that I have been a member for over 15 years. The annual yearbook is an amazing listing of garden seeds offered by other Seed Savers members. The scope and diversity of seeds listed is amazing. For instance, there are 48 pages of Bean varieties. The total yearbook this year is 504 pages! It will be an enjoyable few weeks as I slowly work my way through the yearbook.

One of the many, many benefits of being a member of Seed Savers Exchange is you receive a random free packet of seed when you renew each year. This year I got "Red Velvet" Lettuce. It is described as "(Latuca sativa) Absolutely striking appearance. Tops of leaves are solid maroon, and the backs are green tinged with maroon. Looseleaf, slow to bolt. 55 Days. Reintroduces by SSE in 2002." I am looking forward to planting this variety this year and seeing how it grows and tastes.

No comments: