Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Starting some Zinnias from Seed


We finally had another lovely day today. I still don't think that we hit the magical 70 degree mark, but none the less it was very pleasant out. As soon as I got home from work, I got out one of the new seed starting kits that I purchased at Down to Earth. Each kit has 3 pieces; a unit with cells to plant the seed, a tray to set the cells on, and a plastic dome lid. I decided that it was time to get my Zinnia seeds started. The packets have listed 70-80 days to bloom, so with a 5-10 day germination time, that would make the first blooms open somewhere around August 10th. I started 3 varieties :
  • "Bling Bling" - Renee's Seed - A cutting Zinnia that comes in bright yellow, orange & purple
  • Blue Point Bouquet" - Renee's Seed - A cutting Zinnia that comes in scarlet, orange, yellow, white, rose pink, and magenta. It has won awards from Professional Cut Flower Growers.
  • "Zahara Double Cherry" - Johnny's Select Seeds - a 2010 AAS Winner, deep magenta blooms on plants with a mounded, upright habit. Resistant to mildew and will tolerate humidity & drought.
I am excited now to watch my "mini-greenhouse" and see which variety will germinate first!

No comments: