Saturday, September 25, 2010

And the sunshine returns!


It was great to be back at the Farmer's Market this morning. The sun was out and so were the crowds. As always it was fun to see what new things arrived this week, the last full week of September. My first discovery were these Sweet Potatoes. I am a huge fan of Sweet Potatoes so it was particularly neat to see not only one variety being sold but two!


I was amazed to see, even with all of the rain we have had the last week, the huge amount of tomatoes that were for sale. Almost every stall had mounds in of them in an array of colors.


I was also surprised at the "Chanterelle" mushrooms. There were huge bins of both the Golden and the White available everywhere.They were as common this week as carrots or peppers. Obviously our rainy September was good for something!


My eye was caught by this basket full of "Dragon's Tongue" Beans. Their shell color is very similar to the "Bingo" beans that I am growing right now.


There continues to be fresh garlic available. This variety had a lovely rose-purple blush to its papery skin.


Over the last few years, the availability of unique cauliflower varieties has really exploded. It is common now at our market to see the traditional white, the cheddar-colored yellow and the amazing violet. But I had never seen this variety called "Verdi". In my picture it looks like a soft yellow but it was in fact a vivid lime-green!


And I couldn't help but take a picture of this stack of Pumpkins. They just make me happy!


Just like today's return of the sunshine and 80 degree weather has made all of the felines extremely happy!

No comments: