Monday, October 13, 2014

Weekly Harvest for Early October



I thought I would start out this week's harvest with some flowers from the garden. While most of my dahlias are really starting to wind down for the season, the Poms are still producing like gangbusters. Saturday I cut a bouquet using blooms from "Willo Borealis", "Bowen", "Elfin", & "Valda".



The tomatoes continue to ripen. They loved last week's 85 degree weather as much as the humans did. But we are expecting pretty heavy rains to arrive on Tuesday, so I imagine that this will be the last big harvest of the year.


Here are the numbers for this week's tomato harvest. It is especially impressive to note that I harvested tomato number 39-48 from my "Moonglow" plant. It is a grafted tomato and, as advertised, has produced phenomenally. 
  • "Moonglow" - 10 tomatoes - 3 lbs. 11.5 oz
  • "Bumblebee" - 44 cherry fruit - 14.4 oz.
  • "Bloody Butcher" - 5 tomatoes - 4.0 oz.
  • "Black Plum" - 15 tomatoes - 8.9 oz
  • Amethyst Indigo" - 6 tomatoes - 6.3 oz

I also harvested my "Poletschka" Dry Pole Beans this past week. Since the plants were attacked by rabbits not just once, but twice this season, it is amazing that I had anything to harvest at all. But I did manage to gather just under 1/2 cups worth of dry beans that weighed in at 3.1 oz. At least I will have fresh seed for next year!

 

6 comments:

Margaret said...

I thought I was the only one that actually counted the number of tomatoes I got from each plant ;) I don't know what happened but my reader has not been updating your feed so I have missed a whole bunch of your posts in the last few weeks - I'm looking forward to reading them today to see what has been happening in your garden lately.

Michelle said...

How interesting that the grafted tomato did so well. I've heard rather mixed reviews about grafted tomatoes and haven't really been tempted to try one yet.

Barb said...

Great harvest and beautiful flowers!

Daphne Gould said...

I always love photos of dried beans. I'm not sure what it is about them that attracts me, but they are so pretty.

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

Beautiful dahlias! And I love those beans too. It is good the rabbits left them alone long enough to make some beans for you!

Mindy said...

My reader (bloglovin) delivers your posts late as well. Usually clumped in groups of three or more.
Your dahlias are still stunning. I picked tomatoes today, too, in preparation for the rain tomorrow. My San Marzano produced more tomatoes than I've ever had from any plant. Ever. I WISH I had counted them. Seems like hundreds.