Sunday, December 8, 2013

Record Cold


Wow is it cold outside. This morning at 7:00 AM the temperature recorded at the airport was -10 degrees. It turned cold quickly last night. By 11:07 PM it was already -7 degrees, which beat Saturday's all time record low.


At 10:30 this morning I bundled up and went for a walk. After filling all of the bird feeders, I decided to walk down the secret path. It looks like a deer crossed the bridge during the last day.


As I crossed the bridge I discovered the creek was half frozen.


The ice was covered with such pretty patterns.


Then I hiked further down the path. Again, I wasn't the first creature to have walked this was since the snow fell.


Rose hips glowing in the hedgerow.


I pushed my was back through the thicket to a different view of the creek.


It is so pretty, rimmed in snow and ice.


You could still see and hear it running in a few places.



While I was admiring the creek, I heard the familiar call of a pileated woodpecker. He finally flew overhead and landed on a dead tree between the creek and the main road.


He was to far out of range for me to get a good, clear picture. But I was still able to get a few snaps. Pileated woodpeckers are beautiful birds, but especially so against a snowy white background.

2 comments:

Barb said...

What a pretty walk. We saw a pileated woodpecker on a telephone pole the other day. It worried me because of the chemicals they use making the poles.

Mindy said...

Gorgeous! It's crazy how cold it is here. Our kitchen pipes are frozen for the first time in the 12 years we've been here. I'll be glad when it warms up a wee bit.