Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Bleeding Hearts in June


We are currently at "peak" bleeding heart time in our garden. We now have three different varieties and none of them are the common bleeding heart found in so many gardens. Our newest acquisition is dicentra spectabilis "Gold Heart".  This bleeding heart produces lovely, green/gold leaves that just light up the dark corner where it is planted. Both the leaves and the pink and white flowers are produced on attractive mauve colored stems. "Gold Heart" will grow to 24" in height and is hardy in zones 5-9. As Summer arrives it will go dormant and disappear for another year. It was bred by Nori Pope at Hadspen House Nursery, England.


Our young, second year "Gold Heart" plant.


The second variety of bleeding heart blooming now is dicentra formosa "Aurora". This small cultivar is a mass of blooms! As you can see in the picture below, the plant is literally covered with stems that each support a cluster of snow white hearts. It is blooming now and will have a second flush later in the year. "Aurora" also has very attractive dusty green, lacy foliage. This cultivar will not die back until the first frost. It is a work-horse that will look attractive all Summer and Fall. It is a low grower, reaching 12-15" in height."Aurora" is hardy in zones 3-9 making it adaptable to so many different parts of the US.



I am afraid that I don't have a name for our final variety of bleeding heart. It has so much in common with "Aurora" that I am sure that they are closely related. This little gem has lovely blue/green lacy foliage. It doesn't bloom quite as profusely as "Aurora" but its red hearts with white trim are striking. It also blooms all Summer long before disappearing for the Winter after the first frost. Another low grower, it is at home in the front of the border. It is also hardy to a low zone.



5 comments:

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

Goodness, that lacy blue foliage with the bright pink flowers in the last variety is stunning! I've never seen a BH like that before. Sigh. So glad you shared it!

partywear lehenga saree said...

I like your idea, also hope to be able to here will be implemented.Your inspiration to bring us so attractive, your creative material is very fashionable idea.I think we all want to stay here no doubt.Great blog on your side.

nehru suit said...

"amazing. I post I shouldnt invest in but cant resist shopping for! And at terrific costs too! Thank Like it! I like it a lot. You know exactly what you're talking about, exactly where other people are "

Sherwani said...

I was looking for similar to this…I think it is quiet interesting, hopefully you will preserve posting such blogs.

mehndi designs said...

Hi! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group? There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know.