Monday, May 21, 2012

The Rains Return


This morning I awoke to the soft sound of rain on the roof, signalling an end to our amazing dry spell this May. Yesterday was our 16th straight day of dry, sunny weather. That is almost unheard of in Oregon in the month of May. This stretch tied for fourth on the all-time list of May dry spells for the Southern Willamette Valley since that data has been tracked. While we didn't beat the all-time record of 21 days from 1928, this was the longest streak in 20 years. It felt like Summer had arrived early and allowed me to get a lot of garden chores accomplished. I know we need the rain but I am sorry that I haven't got the big garden fully tilled and all of the rows laid out before the rain returned. Thankfully the forecast shows the wet weather ending Thursday and the holiday weekend a bit cool, but dry.

No comments: