Monday, May 10, 2010

My Saturday Stash

This last Saturday I had the pleasure of working at and shopping at the Oregon Plant Fair 2010. This annual specialty plant sale was held once again at Alton Baker Park and was put on by the Avid Gardeners group. Between shifts at the Lane County Dahlia Society booth, I got to do a little browsing. My browsing turned into shopping when I hit the Log House Plants booth. For those of you not familiar with Log House Plants, they are a gem of a company located down in Cottage Grove, Oregon. They are primarily a wholesale operation, but owners Alice & Greg are very generous to local plant society groups. Throughout the Spring, you can buy their starts directly from them at various benefit plant sales. Their plants are always  first quality and often interesting and unique varieties that you will not find anywhere else. Locally, you can buy their plants at Down to Earth, Grays & their retail "site" The Bookmine in downtown Cottage Grove.
     Anyway, back to my shopping. First off, I had promised myself that I would NOT buy any tomatoes because it is still way to early to plant them out. But then Alice has to tempt me with amazing varieties, 10 for $8! How can you say no to that! I also justified it because they are only one inch pot starts, so by the time they really start to grow it will be time to get them in the ground. Then I stumbled upon the "Vines & Climbers". Last year, I really started to get into morning glories. And Log House had for sale at least 10 varieties of morning glories. What was I to do? Then, in the vegetable section I discovered Log House has grown and introduced to us Northwest growers 6 or more Sweet Potatoes that we can successfully grow and harvest in our region. They had beautiful slips growing in 4 inch pots, ready to be planted in a trench. Into my basket they went. So, by the end of the day, I had one very full flat of plants to take home. The complete listing:

  • "Beauregard" - Sweet Potato Slips (3)

  • "Sunrise Serenade" - Morning Glory (1) fully double corolla, ruby red

  • "Feringa" - Morning Glory (1) Violet & Rose Pink

  • "Kellogg's Breakfast" - Tomato (2)

  • "Seattle's Best" - Tomato (1)

  • "Rose" - Tomato (1)

  • "Momotaro" - Tomato (1)

  • "Orange Blossom" - Tomato (1)

  • "Persimmon" - Tomato (1)

  • "Black Pear" - Tomato (1)

  • "Black Cherry" - Tomato (1)

  • "Sweet Million" - Tomato (1)

  • "San Francisco Fog" - Tomato (1)

  • "Hidcote" - Lavender

No comments: