Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Greens After Two Weeks



Lifting up the remay cloth today brought me a big surprise. I realized that I accidentally planted the "Wasabi" Arugula in the same bed as the "Catalina" Spinach. Whoops! Well, the good news is very little of the spinach has germinated but, as you can see, the arugula is coming up like crazy. It is tiny, tiny, tiny right now but it looks like every darn seed I planted germinated. I wasn't too sure this would happen. The packet said the soil temperature needed to be between 55-70 degrees. I am pretty sure we haven't ever hit that mark, even with the protective remay cover. But the arugula is clearly sprouting like mad.


I was also pleased to see that the "Heirloom Cutting Mix" lettuce is finally germinating well. I read recently on another blog that although lettuce seed will keep for many years, its speed of germination decreases with each year. Since this seed one year old, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that it look a week longer than the two other varieties that I bought new this year.


Here's a picture of another group of lettuce plants. As you can see, they have germinated at a higher rate and are farther along than the "Heirloom Cutting Mix".

No comments: