Monday, April 14, 2014

Crab Apple Buds


The last time I really inspected the crab apple was over three weeks ago. The tree had just broken its Winter dormancy and was starting to unfurl its first red leaves. I was shocked to discover today that it is already covered in buds, precariously close to blooming.


After I got over my initial surprise, I was really pleased to see all of the buds. This tree seems to be following an "every-other-year" pattern. One year it will be absolutely covered in blooms and the next year it will hardly produce any blooms at all. It has followed this pattern ever since we planted it in 2009. I don't know if this is just a coincidence, due to weather and other factors, or a trait of this crab apple variety.


Either way I am so glad that this year we should have a wonderful display of hot pink blooms.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I wish I had room for one. Looking forward to full on flower photos.