Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Beans

As August marches along, the beans are finally starting to produce. While the "Bingo" pole bean tower up in the vegetable garden isn't doing very well, the tower down in the big garden  is growing well. The climbing vines have reached the top and are now twisting together. For as late a date as I planted the seed, I am pleased with its progress though I am still not sure there is enough time left before the first frost to harvest mature dry beans. Keep your fingers crossed for me!


The "Bingo" Pole bean blooms with a delicate lavender flower. Very pretty.


And the first few blossoms have dropped revealing baby beans !


Meanwhile, on opposite side of the garden, the "Hutterite Soup" bush beans are doing well too. This is the first time that I have grown this variety. It is listed as a bush bean, but I have noticed that about half of the plants have sent up a long top runner, acting like they would enjoy climbing up a pole. The other half of the plants are acting like a traditional bush bean topping out at about 1 foot in height.


These have begun to bloom as well.


Some of the larger bushes are getting quite a few beans set. You just have to lift up the leaves to find them. I sure hope that we have a warm, dry September ahead so that both my bean varieties have a chance to mature and dry.

No comments: