Friday, August 30, 2013

Getting Ready for the First Show


 Tonight after work,  I went down to the big garden and slowly walked through all of my dahlia plants. Tomorrow is the Portland Dahlia Society Annual Show and I was looking for perfection! Having been in England for 12 days earlier this month, my dahlias didn't receive all of the grooming that they should have for a spell of about three weeks. I still managed to find 7 good looking candidates and brought them up to the house.


I staged six single entries and one triple entry. Portland's Flower of the Year is "Lakeview Glow". I am growing five plants of that variety and was able to pick four good looking blooms. I staged both a single and a triple entry. My triples aren't perfectly matched but I am still pleased because I haven't ever been able to enter the Flower of the Year category at a dahlia show before. And for this show I can enter both classes. I also have a pretty good looking "Kelsey Kristie". I think my best shot for the head table is my "Tahoma Alicia" bloom, but time will tell. Next to our show, the Portland has the toughest competition in Oregon.

No comments: