Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Grosbeaks are Back.....?


Evening Grosbeaks are one of my favorite birds. I especially love the colorful markings on the males. After spending the winters at higher elevations, they return down to the valley sometime each April. I then get to wake-up to a chorus of "churr" each morning until they leave our area sometime in July. However, the last week we have heard grosbeak calls and then yesterday we saw one male Evening Grosbeak - In January no less! Then today he was joined by this chubby little guy. Could this be a father and son? And what are they doing in our area in the Winter? I don't have any answers to these questions but it appears that we have two Evening Grosbeaks back for the year and that's worth celebrating. Now that they have found the feeders once again I am hoping that they won't leave our area. Welcome back guys!

No comments: