Sunday, January 6, 2013

Planting Bulbs


When I was at the Common Ground Fair in Maine this past September, I stopped by the Fedco booth. They had a large display of bulbs for sale and I couldn't resist buying two varieties to bring home to Oregon. Once I got back from vacation I put the bulbs in the refrigerator for safekeeping. Just like last year time slipped away and they were still in the refrigerator as 2013 arrived. Today I finally got them in the ground! The first variety that I chose to plant was "Topolino". The catalog describes "Topolino" as a narcissus daffodil with white petals surrounding a long, creamy yellow trumpet. They are 8-10" tall and are an early Spring variety.


I purchased 17 bulbs of "Topolino". As I spaced them on the ground I noticed that many of them had started to sprout. That's a good sign. I was more concerned that 6 or 7 of them showed no sign of a sprout and felt very light. I am concerned that some of the bulbs perished in their 3 month stay in the refrigerator. Fingers crossed!


The second variety that I purchased in Maine was "Jamestown".  I had 12 bulbs to plant of this Narcissus daffodil. It is described as  having rounded white petals that surround a short, yellow cup. A blue ribbon winner. They will get to be 14-17" tall and will be a late mid Spring bloomer. All of these bulbs felt solid to the touch but not all of them had sprouted yet.

No comments: