Wednesday, February 23, 2011

February Surprises


On Sunday, when I was busy counting birds for the GBBC, I made two trips down to the big garden to see what bird species might have been eating at that feeder. After my second trip down, as I was walking back to the house along "the secret path", a flash of color caught my eye at ground level. I spied a burst of purple among the brown leaves and dead grass. Violets! While I have large drifts of white & purple violets in the "lawn" around the big garden, I have never seen any violets here. What a wonderful surprise.



I also discovered that the Shooting Stars along path have just begun to break thought the earth and return for another year. There were dozens and dozens just like this one shooting upwards. The question is, how many blossoms will I get this year?

No comments: