Saturday, September 12, 2009

Saturday at the Market

After having commitments the last 2 weeks, I was finally able to make it down to the Farmer's Market this morning. The calendar had flipped since my last visit and the produce and selection at the market had changed as well. First on my "to-do" list was finding some peppers. I am planning on trying a new roasted red pepper pasta salad recipe today. The recipe specifically calls for a Bell Pepper, but I am open to change. The seach wasn't hard. The late Summer "hot crops" - tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants - were everywhere. I truly don't know if I have ever seen the selection and quantity of peppers that were present today. I ended up purchasing 3 red "Italian Bullhorn".
There were also a lot of Cantaloupe and Watermelon for sale. This display, along with the Sunflowers, really looked like a late Summer portrait.
The most exciting find of the day were fresh dried beans. I saw these folks last year with a small display and the beans were being snapped up today. I heard the vendor mention that was all they had of the "Orca" but had a 5 gallon bucket of the "Vermont Cranberry"  to sell. With the rising popularity of dried beans, thanks in a big part to Steve Sando of Ranch Gordo, I think a dried bean vendor - or 2 - would do really well at the market. This is a very promising start!

And last, but definitely not least in my book, the Winter Squash have started to arrive. Not surprisingly, I didn't see any of the large ones yet, but many booths had "Delicata", "Acorn" and "Sweet Dumpling".

Very happy days for lovers of squash and pumpkins!

No comments: