Saturday, March 4, 2017

Planting the Spartan Apple Tree


Last Sunday, the "Spartan" apple tree that I ordered from Earth Rising Nursery out of Monroe Oregon was delivered to Eugene. After a few delays - like me forgetting to pick it up Sunday afternoon! -, it was delivered to the house Tuesday night. This morning, with Dad's assistance, we got it planted. I picked the same site where we planted the small "Spartan" graft that I got a few Springs back. Unfortunately, it didn't survive. But I liked the location, so we just dug a much larger hole there and set in the new tree. It's a little over 5 feet tall and is grafted to EMLA7 semi-dwarf root-stock. That means it should eventually reach a height between 12 and 20 feet, or about 60% of a standard tree. This is the root-stock used in most orchards. "Spartan" is a McIntosh cross, with good scab resistance. It ripens in mid-October. I have great hopes for this tree. We have it surrounded by protective fencing to give it a chance to grow without the deer chewing on it. Now we just sit back and wait for mid-April, when I hope to see it break out with a flush of new growth.

No comments: