Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Last Outdoor Farmer's Market of the Year


Today was the final outdoor Lane County Farmer's Market for 2011. The crowds at the market are much lighter now than even a month ago. It's a shame really because there is still so much amazing produce to take home and I even managed to find some new surprises today too!


How about some fresh Ginger! This beautiful white & pink ginger is so much prettier than the brown nobs that are sold in the grocery store. These bulbs still were attached to their stalks. I had no idea that ginger resembled bamboo so much above the soil line.


And these yellow beauties were quince.


And another exotic fruit - persimmon.


There were a number of stalls offering mushrooms for sale. The selection was amazing.


These cauliflower mushrooms reminded me of sea coral.


And the golden chanterelled just glowed.

1 comment:

icebear said...

I can almost smell the fresh ginger, beautiful colors! Those mushrooms look delicious, i have been wanting to try growing my own mushrooms in those boxes as a winter project, but never got to it. I might try the logs and peg project one day.

Love the quince, so bright looking.