Saturday, June 20, 2009

Local Eating in the Summer - Meal #1

We are a day away from the official start of Summer, but I am counting tonight's dinner as our first all local meal of the Summer. Beth and I arrived at the Lane County Farmer's Market by 9:30 Am - pretty early for us! I hadn't been there for two weeks. Since that time the new arrivals included baby zucchini, cherry tomatoes and the first of the cherries. After walking the whole market we stopped at Ground Works for a Red Onion, a Walla Walla Onion, new Red Potatoes, and a pint of Strawberries. I picked up two replacement Butternut Squash starts and Beth got some Dianthus from a grower from the Fern Ridge area. The nice surprise was finding the fishing family from Winchester Bay back at the market. I hadn't seen them this year. We were hoping for some fresh Halibut, but this week they had Red Snapper and canned Dungeonous Crab. We had never tried Red Snapper, but it looked good. We got some cooking suggestions, hit the Hideaway Bakery for a Pain Au Chocolat and headed home.


Tonight I simply steamed the Red Potatoes and Beth cooked the Red Snapper in a bit of olive oil. She then topped hers with Red Curry Paste and I chose a Mustard Yogurt topping. Everything was great. The Snapper was a firmer fish, much like tuna, but very mild. I would definitely get it again.

1 comment:

Beth said...

It was a super meal - having the food from local sources made it extra-special.