Monday, August 4, 2014

First Blackberries of the Season


Yesterday afternoon I took a long walk up and down the driveway. My mission - to pick the first blackberries of the season. I had noticed the odd ripe berries here and there as I drove back and forth this past week. I also noticed that I had to keep stopping for deer, who were happily munching on the ripe berries! I can't really blame them. It has been so hot and dry this Summer. I imagine that they are getting desperate for anything fresh, with a good moisture content. So, I picked what I could find, which wasn't a lot. After all of my hunting and reaching, I only ended up with a bowl containing 1 lbs. 10.2 oz of fruit. But I had better be happy with this. Most of the green berries still left to ripen are small and hard. It's not going to be a great berry year. 

I also was able to pick 5 more ripe tomatoes this weekend. All five were from my "Bloody Butcher" plant. So far it has been the only plant to produce and ripened fruit. The five I picked today totaled 5.8 oz.

4 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

The blackberries look lovely. Too bad the deer are getting so many though. At least they aren't eating all the leaves and the unripe ones too.

Margaret said...

Those berries sure do look good to me. I'm finally getting the odd tomato here and there from my other plants, but Bloody Butcher is still in front of the pack in terms of quantity so far.

Mindy said...

Yummy!

Michelle said...

The deer in your neighborhood sound like the ones around here, they are eating anything remotely edible now. I just hope they don't figure out how to jump my fences. At least they left you some berries, a pound seems like a nice haul to me.