Monday, August 10, 2015

Onion Totals on Harvest Monday


On Sunday, I finally got around to harvesting my onions. Back on April 12th, I planted 8 young "Candy" yellow, sweet onion starts and 17 "Cortland" yellow, storage onion starts in the Kitchen Garden. The tops had fallen over, one by one, in the last few weeks and it was past time for them to be dug and stored.


A bunch of freshly dug "Cortland".


After I got them all lifted, I trimmed and cleaned each bulb and set them in trays. My 17 "Cortland" onions weighted 7 lbs. 12.7 oz. The largest bulb was 10.1 oz, the smallest was 5.2 oz., and the average size was 7.34 oz. I grew "Cortland" this year because I wasn't able to buy the "Frontier" starts that I had grown last few years. The "Frontier" averaged one ounce heavier but it is hard to compare the two varieties with so many variables affecting size. I need to grow "Frontier" at least one more year to see if it is a reliable producer for me or not.


My 8 "Candy" onions came in at 3 lbs. 10.2 oz. The largest bulb weighted 9.9 oz., the smallest 4.7 oz., and the average bulb size was 7.28 oz. In comparison, the "Cortland" were ever so slightly bigger than the "Candy". But the "Candy", once again, performed well, in such a dry, hot Spring and Summer.


The tomatoes have started to ripen at a quick pace. Pictured above, a pretty truss of "Matina".


A loaded truss of the yellow cherry "Galina".


A new-to-me variety that I am growing this year is the cherry  "Matthew". It is producing small, plum-shaped, orange fruit.



Today's harvest filled a pretty blue mixing bowl with a nice combination of fruit size and color. The harvest consisted of:
  • "Mountain Magic" - (4) 3.4 oz
  • "Matthew" - (10) 3.5 oz
  • "Esterina" - (10) 2.3 oz
  • "Galina" - (38) 9.3 oz
  • "Matina" - (22) 14.7 oz.
So today's total tomato harvest was 2 lbs. 1.2 oz.


I also picked the first on my peppers this past week. I am going to bring them to work for a pepper-loving co-worker to sample. I am hoping her taste-test will shed some light on the identity of my purple, mystery pepper. I don't know what it is but I most certainly know it is not a "Padron" plant as it was labeled. So, my pepper harvest this week was:
  • "Gypsy" - (1) 3.3 oz
  • "Mystery Plant" - (1) .4 oz.

10 comments:

Stoney Acres said...

Very nice harvest! I love the onions! I'm hoping to get ours pulled out this week!

Susie said...

Beautiful tomatoes, the colours are wonderful!

Daphne Gould said...

Those onions look beautiful. I need to harvest the last of mine this week.

Eight Gate Farm NH said...

Those are really nice onions. It's interesting that you cleaned them and trimmed the tops so quickly. Mine are sitting on chicken wire in the garage, with their leaves and dirt attached. I admire the tomatoes too.

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

Great looking onions! I wish I could learn to grow nice ones but I'll settle for admiring those that others grow.

Margaret said...

I'll chime in about your onions - they look wonderful and your average sizes are quite large! The tomatoes are lovely too - last year, I inadvertently grew only yellow cherries...this year I'm growing a much more visually appealing orange, yellow and red.

Sally Olson said...

What a beautiful harvest. Well done!

Michelle said...

Your onions are so pristine and beautiful. Almost all my candy onions bolted, they don't seem to like the weird swings in temperatures we get here. I love the photo of the colorful cherry tomatoes. Galina used to be one of my favorites but the last couple of times I grew it it didn't do well, maybe I need to find a new seed source. And that certainly is not a Padron, but I wonder what it would be like if you fried it up like a Padron...

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

Congrats on a nice onion harvest! I had a few bolters, but was able to harvest a good amount, too. Thanks for sharing!

daisy g said...

Wow, what a beautiful harvest of onions. Y'all will surely be eating well this fall.
You're invited to share your outdoor post on The Maple Hill Hop this week!